- 1¾ cups (7½oz/ 213g) all purpose flour, lightly spooned and leveled
- 1¼ cups (8¾oz/ 248g) soft light brown sugar*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups (9½oz/ 270g) Galaxy (called Dove in the US), about 3 (90 gram bars), or any chocolate bar of your choice, chopped into pea-sized pieces, (or chocolate chips)*
- 6 tablespoons (1⅛oz/ 32g) unsweetened cocoa powder, I used Hershey’s (spooned in and leveled)*
- 6 tablespoons (89ml) boiling water
- ¾ cups (6oz/ 170g) sour cream, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup (2¾ oz/ 76g) melted butter
- ¼ cup (60ml) oil, neural flavored like sunflower, corn, canola, vegetable or safflower
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract*
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position. Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Reserve ⅓ cup of the chocolate chunks for sprinkling on top of the batter aside, and add in the rest to the flour mixture. Whisk well to coat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the cocoa powder and boiling water to form a smooth paste.
- Whisk in the sour cream;
- the melted butter;
- and vanilla.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold together until well combined and no flour pockets remain.
- Do NOT overmix. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Using a ¼ cup measure ice cream scoop or a ¼ cup measuring cup, portion the batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with the reserved chocolate chunks.
- Bake for 18 to 23 minutes, or until the the muffin top’s center springs when touched gently and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached (although that could be confusing because you might hit a melted chocolate chunk, if that happens, try a different muffin) Do NOT overbake or the muffins will dry out.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes or until the muffins are cool enough to handle. Remove the muffins from the pan and let cool on a wire rack. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container for up the 3 days (if they last that long). They could be rewarmed for a few seconds in the microwave if desired.
Chocolate Ganache for filling and topping
125g chocolate – maybe dark? 275ml cream
Recipe taken from Cleobuttera.com