- 275g all purpose flour, lightly spooned and leveled
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 170g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 200g sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- Zest of 1 medium lemon.
- 227g sour cream, at room temperature
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower middle position and preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl beat the butter for a minute or two on medium high speed (standing or hand held mixer) until creamy and lightened up.
- Add the sugar and beat together until lightened up in both colour and texture. The colour should turn very pale and texture should look fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the zest and beat together for one minute.
- On lowest speed, add in one-third of the flour mixture and mix until mostly combined. Add in half of the sour cream and lightly stir until almost mixed in. Continue with adding another one-third of the flour mixture, followed by the remaining sour cream and ending with the last third of flour mixture, Then the lemon juice. Mix until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX or you could end up with tough muffins.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 18 minutes (18 to 20 for my oven), or until the top are golden brown and spring back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached. DO NOT OVERBAKE or the muffins will dry out.
- Inject lemon curd after cooling.
Muffin recipe adapted from Cleobuttera’s chocolate chips muffins — which gives such a good muffin.