- 165g of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 310g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 226g of unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 300g granulated sugar
- 110g light brown sugar
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175c/350F./ Butter/grease the sides and bottom of a 23cm by 33cm glass or light coloured metal baking pan
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt and cocoa powder together.
- Put the chocolate, butter and instant espresso powder in a large heat-proof bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat, but keep the bowl over the water and add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined, then remove the bowl from the pan and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add the remaining eggs and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla and stir until combined. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake, rotating the pan halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it, about 30 minutes. Let the brownies cool completely in the pan, then lift them out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into squares and serve. Store at room temperature in an airtight container or wrap with plastic wrap for up to 3 days.