- 600ml milk or 400ml milk & 200ml double cream or 400ml whole milk & 200ml skimmed milk.
- 250g chocolate. 100g dark, 150g milk or white
- 1 fat vanilla pod
- 6 egg yolks
- 150g caster sugar
- Pour 600ml milk into a saucepan. Slice pod and add vanilla seeds plus pod to the milk
- Bring mixture almost to the boil then take if off just before it boils. Leave for half an hour for the vanilla to flavour the milk.
- Beat 6 egg yolks and 150g caster sugar till light and fluffy
- Remove the vanilla pod but not the seeds from the milk, then pour it through a sieve into the egg yolks and sugar, stirring till you get a thin custard. Pour it into a clean saucepan.
- Put the custard over a moderate heat and, stirring almost continuously with a wooden spoon, bring it slowly towards the boil. Once the custard is thick enough to thinly coat the back of a wooden spoon, remove it from the heat, pour it into a cold basin and leave it to cool.
- Once it is cool, refrigerate it for a good half-hour before pouring into an ice cream machine and churning until almost frozen.
Original recipe by Nigel Slater