- 230g unsalted butter
- 240g dark muscovado sugar
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 280g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 240g white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180c, lightly butter a 23cm square tin and line with grease proof paper.
- Melt the butter and whisk in the sugars and salt until well combined. The mixture will lighten slightly and thicken – whisk for about 2 – 3 minutes. Add vanilla extract and whisk again – maybe 30 seconds to a minute. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture and combine well, I whisk for about a minute or 2.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate, baking powder into a large bowl, then whisk in the egg and butter mixture a little at a time to avoid lumps.
- Leave to cool slightly then fold in chocolate chunks. Folding in too soon will melt the chocolate
- Spoon into cake tin and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35-40-45 minutes (depending on an act of god – so varies my oven – though they’ve never been done by 35 minutes) until outer edges are firm and middle is still a little soft
- Leave to cool for 30 minutes then cut into squares before serving.
Recipe from the book Gordon Ramsey’s Ultimate Cookery Course.