- 50g cocoa
- 100g boiling water
- 225g softened unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 6 medium eggs separated
- Pinch of salt
- 170g toasted ground almonds
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Line a 25cm cake tin with baking paper and grease and flour.
- In a small bowl, put the cocoa hot water and vanilla – mix with a small whisk, leave for a few minutes and all the lumps will whisk out.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer beat the butter until pale.
- Add 175g of the sugar to the butter and beat until the mixture is almost whitewashed, this will take several minutes.
- Beat in the egg yolks then the cooled cocoa mixture, then the almonds. Continue to beat – the mixture will turn slightly paler as it is aerated.
- In a clean bowl whisk the eggs with the salt until foamy.
- Add the cream of tarter to set the foam, then whisk until you get firm peaks.
- Stir one large teaspoon of the egg white into he cake mixture to loosen it, then fold in the rest using a large knife. By dipping the knife slowly through the mixture, you will not disturb the air in it too much.