Originally from the Joy of Baking – bit fudgier than normal muffins.
- 2 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 180 ml/g ricotta cheese
- 200g granulated white sugar
- 120 ml whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons (55 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 195 grams flour
- 50 grams unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 125 grams chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180c. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the ricotta cheese and whisk to combine. Then whisk in the sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and melted butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips. Add the ricotta mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix this batter or the muffins will be tough when baked.
- Divide the batter amongst the muffin cups using two spoons or an ice cream scoop.
- Bake for about 18 – 20 minutes or until set and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out with a few moist crumbs (the tops of the muffins will have cracks). Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.